corpus-paul - RE: Jewish origins of apostle

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "David C. Hindley" <dhindley AT compuserve.com>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Jewish origins of apostle
  • Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2001 01:35:06 -0500

Fred Rich comments:

12/8/01 >>As part of my early research I have been trying, rather
unsuccessfully I have to say, to locate apostleship in a Jewish
context.<<

What about the use of APOSTOLOS as a designation for an individual
charged with bringing offerings from Diaspora Jews to the temple in
Jerusalem? Yes, this kind of technical use of the word only starts to
be found (I believe) in the 2nd or 3rd century CE. Still, we do know
that 1st century Jews in the Diaspora sent gifts and that the Roman
government allowed large sums of such money to cross provincial
borders, so there were certainly some sort of official
representatives. I would be surprised if Jews adopted this particular
term for them after Christians began using it as a title for their
founding figures. As far as I am aware, in non-Jewish and
non-Christian literature the word is usually associated with
representatives travelling overseas.

6/23/01 >>I intend to attempt to deconstruct some of Paul's arguments
for his own authority over various churches, as found in his letters,
and seek to analyse this rhetoric.<<

I am intrigued by your desire to deconstruct Paul's writings (or, I
should say, the Pauline writings). However, you may want to consider
first deconstructing the modern critics upon whom you will draw for
ideas and details (James Dunn, E. P. Sanders, N. T. Wright, Bruce
Malina, Jerome Neyrey, Elizabeth A. Castelli, etc.).

Respectfully,

Dave Hindley
Cleveland, Ohio, USA