corpus-paul - Re: the role of the law in salvation-history

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Loren Rosson <rossoiii AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: the role of the law in salvation-history
  • Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 08:50:37 -0700 (PDT)

> My questions remains Loren: is not the age
> of sin and death still present
> for every human, all humans, humankind,
> inclusive of Jewish and non-Jewish
> people, believers and non-believers in
> Christ?; the age of evil obviously
> continues. So in what sense does your
> point made in the post I had
> responded to make sense?

Mark,

Dunn expresses Paul's idea of the eschatological
tension this way (in commenting on Rom 6):

"The whole of this life for the believer is suspended
between Christ's death and resurrection, or more
precisely between the very likeness of Christ's death
and that of his resurrection, between the
conversion-initiation which began the process and the
resurrection of the body which will complete it. The
very real dying of believers is a life-long process:
they do not sever all links and relationships with
this world until the death of the body. How can they?
But in the meantime they must let the death of Christ
come to increasing effect in their own lives...The
identification with Christ in his death must be be
reaffirmed ever again until death plays its last
card..." (Romans, Vol I, pp 331, 357)

The eschatological tension is obviously a mystical
idea; Schweitzer understood it somewhat similarly. So,
for Paul, the "end" was both realized and future at
the same time.

I can't explain it much better than this, Mark. Does
this help? I have a feeling we're going in circles.

Loren Rosson III
Nashua NH
rossoiii AT yahoo.com