corpus-paul - RE: Teaching Paul Contextually

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: JERRY SUMNEY <JSUMNEY AT LEXTHEO.EDU>
  • To: 'Corpus-paul' <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Teaching Paul Contextually
  • Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 09:02:59 -0400

Brian,

As the other responses to your question have shown, this is a very
important element in understanding Paul's letters. I often take a little
different approach. Rather than finding texts that are misused, I use 1 Cor
8-10 to illustrate that literal readings make this text useless in an
American context. Americans do not worry about eating food sacrificed to
other gods (though I know that Christians in India and other places do
struggle with this). So if you do not read this large passage in context
and with some appropriate hermeneutic it is completely worthless. If,
however, you read it in its setting it can show important things about some
of Paul's theological touchstones and how he applies them to particular
situations. And all of that without a threat to anyone's current practice
or use of scritpure.

Enjoy teaching the class.

Jerry

Jerry L. Sumney