corpus-paul - Re: The purpose of the law in salvation-history

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Loren Rosson <rossoiii AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: The purpose of the law in salvation-history
  • Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2001 14:38:52 -0700 (PDT)

Bob wrote:

> While I do not think God needs exoneration, I do
> think He needs advertising.

Well, Paul thought he needed both.

> Job and Paul are both good advertisements - all the
> worst aspects (truth in
> advertising) are noted, but also all the best.

Job and Paul are also good examples of those who
struggle to come to terms with (what may appear to be)
divine injustices or even perversities. In the case of
Job, it's an old story.

> I hear many interpret them perversely - but the
> implications may be in our
> minds rather than in God or the intent of God's
> spokespeople.

These implications lurk (lurked) in the minds of many
people, both modern and ancient; it would stand to
reason that they lurked in Paul's mind as well. You
view Paul a bit too "purely" for my taste.

> Here you appeal to emotions in Paul - as
> have others reading this passage
> through Freudian eyes. And it raises Dieter's
> question "For some of the
> players this may not even be a theological problem
> but a socio-political one."

I believe it is both, and I refer you to the response
I'm about to send to Dieter for further clarification.

Loren Rosson III
Nashua NH
rossoiii AT yahoo.com