corpus-paul - Re: Paul's Gospel

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Loren Rosson <rossoiii AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Paul's Gospel
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 09:45:26 -0700 (PDT)

[John]
>> This outdated opinion is very far from being
>> a consensus.

[Frank]
> It's not a unanimous opinion, of course, but it
> does seem to be the majority opinion nowadays among
> NT scholars. This consensus is reflected in the NT
> introductions by Helmut Koester and Raymond E.
> Brown and others... If the consensus that Paul
> wrote 7 letters in the NT is not a
> consensus, what would you call it?

In my own post I affirmed John's denial of the
"consensus" here, so I stand corrected. Most NT
introductions do, of course, explain why Paul's
authorship of these seven letters is rarely
questioned. I originally thought John was not so much
denying the existence of a consensus altogether, but
rather taking issue with the pre-critical appeal to
consensus as if that settled the issue in advance.

Loren Rosson III
Nashua NH
rossoiii AT yahoo.com