corpus-paul - Re: corpus-paul digest: June 19, 2001

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Revd Dr Sean F. Winter" <Sean.Winter AT Virgin.Net>
  • To: Corpus-paul digest <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: corpus-paul digest: June 19, 2001
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 11:49:28 +0100

> Richard Fellows wrote
>
> Both Epaphroditus (Phil 2.25; 4.18) and Epaphras (Phm 23; Col. 1:7; 4:12)
> were co-workers of Paul, and both were with him during an imprisonment.
> This suggests to me that he was probably one person. Epaphras is probably a
> short form of Epaphroditus, and Paul is known to have used different names
> for the same person from time to time.
>
> Sean Winter offered a counter arguement:
> <<Paul's language about them in each case suggests that they are a members
> of the Philippian and Colossian communities respectively.>>
>
> However, I think this argument is weak.

Note I only say that Paul¹s language ³suggests²... To be honest I am not
much fussed either way, but for what it is worth:

> 1. Firstly, it overlooks the possibility that Epaphras-Epaphroditus
> belonged to both Philippi and Colossae. He may have been a native of
> Colossae who became a resident of Philippi (or vice versa). Epaphras had
> brought the faith to Colossae, so he must have spent some time in another
> town where he came into contact with believers. This other town could well
> have been Philippi, where there were converts from a relatively early date.
> Isn't it possible that Epaphras-Epaphroditus emigrated from Colossae to
> Philippi where he became a believer after Paul brought the faith to that
> city? Lydia (Acts 16.14) provides a close parallel. She was a native of the
> province of Asia who became a resident of Philippi and converted to the
> faith.
>
> In short, Epaphas may well have maintained residence in the town where he
> learned the faith, and that town could well have been Philippi.

This is, of course, a possibilty, although we have no way of knowing.

> 2. Secondly, Sean Winter's argument is weakened if Colossians is
> psuedonymous. The author might not have known where Epaphras came from.

This is also a fair point, although the author does imply such knowledge.
Epaphras is HO EX HUMWN (4.12)

> 3. Thirdly, there is no proof that Epaphroditus was a resident of Philippi.

Again, this is strictly speaking correct. But again the language of Phil
2.25 HUMWN DE APOSTOLON suggests that E. was a member and thus messenger of
the Philippian community.

I stand, then, by the claim that the language in each case (note the
identical pronouns) ³suggests² two different people relating to two
different communities.

Sean Winter

--
REVD DR SEAN F. WINTER
Northern Baptist College,

0161 249 2534 (Personal Line + Voicemail)
0161 224 6404 (Luther King House Reception)
0161 248 9201 (Luther King House Fax)

sean.winter AT lkh.co.uk
sean.winter AT virgin.net

  • Re: corpus-paul digest: June 19, 2001, Revd Dr Sean F. Winter, 06/25/2001