corpus-paul - Re: Pauline apostolic authority/power

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: David Denton <drd AT uq.net.au>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Pauline apostolic authority/power
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 14:07:00 +1000

I agree with John Contabile.

I am not sure though whether you mean Paul's apostolic authority over
against other apostles or in his dealings with the churches. See, e.g.,
Best, Paul and his Converts, esp. p. 19, & ch.4. Also JSNT 27 (1986),
3-25. Also Witherington, The Paul Quest, 156-173.

David

At 10:17 AM 23/06/01 EDT, you wrote:
> [...]
>
>Best wishes,
>Fred Rich.
>
>Pauline apostleship in (post)modern perspective
>
>In the course of this work I intend to investigate St. Paul's claims to
>apostleship, particularly with regards his authority, or power, over various
>early churches. Initially I intend to research the concept from three
>different perspectives. These are 1) New Perspective , 2) socio-scientific
>approach , and 3) rhetorical criticism . As the work proceeds I would
propose
>to concentrate on one, or possibly two comparatively, having concluded which
>is/are most fruitful.
>
>My interest in this area has been partially sparked off by a questioning of
>the legitimacy of the title 'apostle' as a special office within the church,
>both originally, and today. By investigating this question I hope to
>understand and analyse how Paul uses this concept to implement his authority
>over first century churches, despite apparent opposition from other church
>leaders of the day. I shall also investigate the relevance of this concept
in
>selected areas of today's church.
>
>I feel that the New Perspective is very relevant to understanding Paul's
>apostleship, as his authority does come partly through the law. Through
>socio-scientific methodology I intend to investigate the kinds of structures
>that existed in Paul's churches, that allowed him to operate as apostle over
>them.
>
>My third approach is rather more wide reaching and may also include other
>postmodern methods of literary criticism. My aim in using this kind of
>methodology is to try to make such questions as Paul's usage of power and
>apostleship, relevant for today. I intend to critique his usage of power,
and
>authority, following on from the work already done in this area by Elizabeth
>Castelli, in her book 'Imitating Paul'4) . I intend to then go on from this
>to investigate how modern day 'apostolic' church leaders claim to have
>authority over their churches.
>
>With regards which texts I intend to study, I shall be concentrating,
>initially, on Romans, 1 Corinthians and Galatians, partially because I
>already have some experience of scholarship on two of the letters, and
>partially because they seem the most relevant Pauline letters to investigate
>when studying Paul's use of power and authority. I intend to consult both
>major commentaries on these letters, and other important works on Paul,
>and/or his theology. Further afield that that, I intend to utilise
>socio-scientific methods that has been used on other biblical texts, and on
>other ancient literature. Another source of information and help will be
>articles and books of postmodern theory, both in general and with regards
>biblical studies in particular. My approach is consciously
cross-disciplinary
>in order to find a wider picture of Paul and his texts.
>
>I intend to begin by investigating methodology that I shall then employ on 1
>Corinthians chapter 9 and Galatians chapter 2. This will then give me an
idea
>as to what results I can expect from the wider Pauline corpus, using these
>same methods. My hypothesis is that Paul uses the term apostle to justify
his
>exercise of, probably illegitimate, power and authority over early Christian
>churches, in order to counter attacks coming from more established
'apostles'
>and evangelists. This is also paralleled by so called 'apostolic' church
>leaders in some churches today.
>

>1 I.e. How Paul's claims to apostleship, and usage of power over people
could
>be related to his Jewish identity, and understanding of the law as a
>controlling element. In particular I would be concentrating on the work of
>James Dunn, although I would consult others such as E. P. Sanders and N. T.
>Wright amongst others.
>
>2 Within this I would hope to investigate how Paul could be seen as a
product
>of his society, both Jewish and Hellenistic. In particular I would be
>consulting the work of Bruce Malina and Jerome Neyrey, and using some of
>their methodologies.
>
>3 I intend to attempt to deconstruct some of Paul's arguments for his own
>authority over various churches, as found in his letters, and seek to
analyse
>this rhetoric.
>
>4 Castelli, Elizabeth A., Imitating Paul: A Discourse of Power (Louisville,
>KY: Westminster/John Knox Press, 1991)
>

>---
>You are currently subscribed to corpus-paul as: drd AT uq.net.au
$subst('Email.Unsub')