corpus-paul - Re: Paul's use or lack of use of rhetoric

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Mark D. Nanos" <nanosmd AT home.com>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Paul's use or lack of use of rhetoric
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 10:57:29 -0500

on 6/22/01 9:57 AM, Brian Tucker at editor AT journalofbiblicalstudies.org
wrote:

> I am starting a study on Paul's views of Greek rhetoric and its use in
> communicating the Gospel. In 1 Cor 1-3 he appears to be rather unsure
> about the use of rhetoric, however, we see him engaging in its use on Mars
> hill [oops that's Acts :-)]. Anyway, I am looking for some bibliography
> and possible trajectories a study of this nature could take. For example,
> I am currently planning on comparing Paul's views of rhetoric in 1 Cor 1-3
> and Augustine's fourth book of Christian Doctrine. I have also considered
> Cicero's contribution to this topic, but I digress.
>
> I would like some thoughts on Paul's engagement with Greek Rhetoric and
> how it may impact 1 Cor 1-3. Bibliography would be helpful.

I don't have time at the moment to give you much bibliography; but there is
an enormous amount available. A good start for getting at bibliography and
issues can be made with R. Dean Anderson, Ancient Rhetorical Theory and
Paul, (Pharos) Peeters, 1996; Duane Watson, "Rhetorical Criticism of the
Pauline Epistles Since 1975," in Currents in Research 3 (1995) 219-48.

Regards,
Mark
--
Mark D. Nanos, Ph.D.