corpus-paul - Paul's use or lack of use of rhetoric

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Brian Tucker" <editor AT journalofbiblicalstudies.org>
  • To: corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Paul's use or lack of use of rhetoric
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 10:57:07 -0400

I am starting a study on Paul's views of Greek rhetoric and its use in
communicating the Gospel. In 1 Cor 1-3 he appears to be rather unsure
about the use of rhetoric, however, we see him engaging in its use on Mars
hill [oops that's Acts :-)]. Anyway, I am looking for some bibliography
and possible trajectories a study of this nature could take. For example,
I am currently planning on comparing Paul's views of rhetoric in 1 Cor 1-3
and Augustine's fourth book of Christian Doctrine. I have also considered
Cicero's contribution to this topic, but I digress.

I would like some thoughts on Paul's engagement with Greek Rhetoric and
how it may impact 1 Cor 1-3. Bibliography would be helpful.

Thanks,
Brian Tucker
Riverview, MI
editor AT journalofbiblicalstudies.org