corpus-paul - Re: success

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "David C. Hindley" <dhindley AT compuserve.com>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: success
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 14:08:25 -0400

John Dickson says:

>>I just have a small comment to throw into the mix. Our guesses about
the size of congregations is usually based on our quite partial
knowledge of the buildings in which the first believers may have met -
houses, work-shops, etc. Hence the number is now usually considered
quite small, 30-50 persons (see especially Craig de Vos, Church and
Community Conflicts). But some religious gatherings in the ancient
world were held outdoors - off the top of my head I can think of two
instances of Jewish worship held outdoors. Why could we not, then,
imagine several house churches in a city meeting regularly and
independently - say, in groups of 40 or so - and then every so often
coming together (1 Cor 14:23) in large outdoor gatherings - rented
courtyards, public gardens, or whatever?<<

The only reservation I really have about estimating size of
congregations is that Roman government took a dim view of large public
gatherings and private meals. Where such things did occur the
participants belonged to officially recognized voluntary associations,
which almost always meant the religion was well established and not
considered potentially subversive to government or society in general.
They had to seek out official permission to hold such meetings or even
hold public ceremonies. While it appears that sometimes the officials
looked the other way, as soon as anyone publicly complained the
proceedings would immediately be halted.

It may be better to try to explain Christian growth as an outgrowth of
Synagogue activities. I am thinking primarily of gentiles who
associated with "Christianity" and how they might have worshipped or
interacted with one another and with natural-born Jews or fully
converted gentiles.

Perhaps those interested in the question might take a look at the
collection of essays in _Voluntary Associations in the Graeco-Roman
World_ (ed. John S. Kloppenborg and Stephen G. Wilson, Routledge,
1996), which I found illuminating.

Respectfully,

Dave Hindley
Cleveland, Ohio, USA