corpus-paul - Re: success

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "John Dickson" <dicksonj AT bigpond.net.au>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: success
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 10:18:57 +1000

Rick Strelan asked about the concept of numerical success in Paul's mission.

Great question, Rick, and I look forward to the various replies.
I just have a small comment to throw into the mix. Our guesses about the size of congregations is usually based on our quite partial knowledge of the buildings in which the first believers may have met - houses, work-shops, etc. Hence the number is now usually considered quite small, 30-50 persons (see especially Craig de Vos, Church and Community Conflicts). But some religious gatherings in the ancient world were held outdoors - off the top of my head I can think of two instances of Jewish worship held outdoors. Why could we not, then, imagine several house churches in a city meeting regularly and independently - say, in groups of 40 or so - and then every so often coming together (1 Cor 14:23) in large outdoor gatherings - rented courtyards, public gardens, or whatever?
John Dickson
Department of Ancient History
Macquarie University
Sydney, Australia