corpus-paul - Re: Epaphras

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: boyd AT pcpartner.net
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Epaphras
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 10:34:44 -0500

Frank Anthony wrote:
<And is it possible that Epaphras is the same person as Epaphraditus. Have
any of you come across a scholar that equated the two men?

Are the two words the same in Greek?>

I did a quick check on Bibleworks and came up with the following references for Epaphras and Epaphroditus:

Epaphroditus: EPAFRODITOS (Greek)
Phil. 2:25; 4:18
Louw and Nida = "a messenger sent to Paul from the Philippian church"

Epaphras
EPAFRAS (Greek)
Col. 1:7; 4:12; Phm 23
Louw and Nida = "a Christian of Colossae"

As you can see, the names are slightly different in Greek, and the descriptions given by Louw and Nida appear to be correct.

I'm new to this list (I was on B-greek for about a year), and I'm excited to interact on the Pauline corpus. I just graduated with an M.Div. so obviously I'm still just developing my ideas about Paul's work.

Jonathan Boyd
Huxley, IA

  • epaphras, Ntsearcher, 06/06/2001
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Epaphras, Ntsearcher, 06/12/2001
    • Re: Epaphras, Revd Dr Sean F. Winter, 06/14/2001
    • Re: Epaphras, boyd, 06/14/2001
    • Re: Epaphras, Richard Fellows, 06/19/2001

Archive powered by MHonArc 2.6.24.