corpus-paul - I do not lie Galatians 1:20

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Bob MacDonald" <bobmacdonald AT home.com>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: I do not lie Galatians 1:20
  • Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 23:55:13 -0700

When Paul writes in Galatians
In what I am writing to you, before God, I do not lie!

What is the implied reason for the exclamation?

In the background are all the brothers (vs 2) - would they have doubted that
he only saw Peter and James? In the foreground are those to whom the letter
is written - what does Paul imagine they have been thinking for him to put
the statement in that he is not a liar? That he saw more people in
Jerusalem than he is letting on? that this would justify the apostles to
Galatia who are troubling them...

If this is the reason for the strong denial of lying, what does it say about
the attitude of the brethren with Paul or the Galatians to 'the apostles'?
What issue produces the heat of the denial of lying?

Bob

mailto::BobMacDonald AT home.com
+ + + Victoria, B.C., Canada + + +

Catch the foxes for us,