corpus-paul - Re: hUPO NOMON in Rom 6:14-15: Cranfield vs. James Dunn vs. X

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "moon-ryul jung" <moon AT saint.soongsil.ac.kr>
  • To: corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: hUPO NOMON in Rom 6:14-15: Cranfield vs. James Dunn vs. X
  • Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 20:33:27 -0500

Dear Mark,
welcome back!

>Moon, Loren, and other participants in this discussion,
>
> I am sorry to be so late to the conversation you had, having been a part of
> its beginnings before being away from my computer. I just want to say how
> much I enjoyed catching up on it; great work. I especially appreciate the
> grammatical logic and the spirit of the effort Moon has made to challenge
> the prevailing view

[Moon]

Thanks.
I would like to see how far I can go with this effort. But because you are
back, I would like to point to the original question to you.

[Mark]
> Following "Let not.... Do not... but" of vv. 12-13:
> "For [GAR] sin will not become master of you [KURIEUSEI: fut. ind.];
> confirming [GAR]* you [gentiles] are not under law but under grace.
>
> *[Cf. BDAG 1.c: "GAR is sometimes repeated. It occurs twice... to have one
> clause confirm the other," including Rom. 6:14 in the examples of this
> case.]
>
> This verse simply restates in the course of his argument what Paul has
> declared earlier, such as in 3:21, to explain the inclusion of gentiles:
> "but now the righteousness of God has been manifested apart from law,
> although the law and the prophets bear witness to it...." (NRSV). And they
> are thus equally responsible to the implications of this manifestation of
> the righteous God! (for there is no distinction, 3:22).
>
> The gentiles are to confirm who they are under God's grace by how they
> behave. That is the point of the argument here in ch. 6. Even though they
> are not law-people they have chosen the same master, which for these
> gentiles is another master than before, God instead of sin, and they must
> thus live another way, to God instead of to sin. The contrast is not between
> law and God, but sin and God (cf. 6:10-11), even for people not under law;
> naturally, the service of God instead of sin by way of law observance is
> obvious.

[Moon]
Mark, I like your interpretation because it maintains
that hUPO NOMON = Law-People, which is the simplest reading
of hUPO NOMON. The link betwen 6:14 and 3:21 is what I have never
thought of. But I have some problem with your translation:

Following "Let not.... Do not... but" of vv. 12-13:
> "For [GAR] sin will not become master of you [KURIEUSEI: fut. ind.];
> confirming [GAR]* you [gentiles] are not under law but under grace.

(1) It makes 6:14a support 6:14b. My grammar tells that
GAR of 6:14b should be taken to support 6:14a. Please tell me how you
get the above translation?

(2) What you want to say would be conveyed when you translate
6:14b as:

Confirming that, though you are not under Law, you are under Grace.

Is it what you have in mind?

Moon
Moon-Ryul Jung
Associate Professor