corpus-paul - Re: hUPO NOMON in Rom 6:14-15: Cranfield vs. James Dunn vs. X

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Mark D. Nanos" <nanosmd AT home.com>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: hUPO NOMON in Rom 6:14-15: Cranfield vs. James Dunn vs. X
  • Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 09:12:15 -0600

Moon, Loren, and other participants in this discussion,

I am sorry to be so late to the conversation you had, having been a part of
its beginnings before being away from my computer. I just want to say how
much I enjoyed catching up on it; great work. I especially appreciate the
grammatical logic and the spirit of the effort Moon has made to challenge
the prevailing view, which has not generally (or sufficiently) concerned
itself with how the traditional logic applied to translation and
interpretation has failed to account for Jewish sensibilities on the part of
Paul (if he was still a Jew, that is) or the Jewish people among his target
gentile addressees in Rome, who are an important part of the author's
perception of the exigence provoking this letter. The language of Romans
needs to be grounded in a hypothesized first century context of Jews and
non-Jews if we are to escape the limitations of previous approaches, which
for the most part (IMO) have and continue to read this as though a
theological oration in the Middle Ages among Roman Catholics.

Regards,
Mark
--
Mark D. Nanos, Ph.D.