corpus-paul - Re: Romans 9-11 and NT Theology

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Mark D. Nanos" <nanosmd AT home.com>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Romans 9-11 and NT Theology
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 07:24:00 -0600

on 1/23/01 8:25 PM, Chris Spinks at cspinks AT fuller.edu wrote:

> I am currently working on a doctoral seminar term paper and thought I might
> solicit the help of the corpus-paul list participants.
>
> In an effort to integrate my dissertation research interest (methodological
> questions in NT Theology) and the seminar topic (Paul & Israel) I am
> considering a paper on the treatment of Rom. 9-11 in the history and
> development of the discipline of NTT. However, I am stumped as to how I
> might
> proceed. I do not mean to begin a dialogue about the nature and method of
> NTT, but it is certain that the methodology of one's NTT and the theological
> assumptions that necessarily inhere in any method are at play in the
> interpretation of a given text. Is it a fruitful task to trace out the
> lines
> of such influence on Rom. 9-11 in the various generations of NTT? I am most
> intrigued by the recent trends for NTT as characterized by what M. Welker
> calls 'New Biblical Theology' and what S. Fowl terms 'Theological
> Interpretation of Scripture' and I would like to move my paper toward an
> assessment of how these trends are helpful (or not) for the treatment and
> placement of Rom. 9-11 in the overall NT/Biblical theological program. Any
> comments and/or advice would be appreciated.
>
> Gratefully,
>
> D. Christopher Spinks
>
> Ph.D. cand., New Testament
> Asst. Reference Librarian
> Fuller Theological Seminary
> Pasadena, CA

Dear Christopher,

This is indeed a good passage for working out your interest in
methodological approaches. The History of Romans and Exegesis section of the
SBL has explored this area in recent years resulting in a book containing
many of the papers, and a superb introduction (some 50 pages) on just what
you are seeking. You will no doubt find many other references by working
through this book.
Reading Israel in Romans: Legitimacy and Plausibility of Divergent
Interpretations, eds. Cristina Grenholm and Daniel Patte, Trinity Press
Int., 2000.

Regards,
Mark

--
Mark D. Nanos, Ph.D.
313 NE Landings Dr.

  • Romans 9-11 and NT Theology, Chris Spinks, 01/23/2001
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Romans 9-11 and NT Theology, Mark D. Nanos, 01/25/2001