corpus-paul - Late Post on STOICEIA (Gal. 4.9)

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Jason Hare" <language_lover64801 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: "Corpus-Paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Late Post on STOICEIA (Gal. 4.9)
  • Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 06:14:58 -0600

Friends,

This post is, of necessity (because of my late membership), tardy for the
STOICEIA thread, but I just thought that I might try to make some kind of
possible connection between these STOICEIA and the before-mentioned
PAIDAGWGOS. Perhaps the STOICEIA to which Paul is referring in Galatians
4.9 has something to do with that PAIDAGWGOS in 3.23-26.

As I have learned about Greek culture, the function of a PAIDAGWGOS was
fourfold (not necessarily in this order):

1. To carry out discipline.
2. To protect.
3. To instruct in the basics (abc's, tying shoes, etc.).
4. To lead the child to school (from which he derived his name
"child-leader").

Do you think there is a possible connection between the two? For instance,
the basics that the PAIDAGWGOS teaches to the children/heirs are called the
STOICEIA by Paul. After all, Aristotle used the word to refer to the
letters of the alphabet. This is just a suggestion. But, it would connect
the whole "being under the law" and "being slaves to the elementaries."
STOICEIA are the basic elements that make up a whole. Therefore, the whole
is the Torah, and the STOICEIA are the "days, and months, and seasons, and
years" of 4.10. The Torah was the PAIDAGWGOS and was intended to keep
people in check and lead them to Christ. When Christ came, the
child-leader left, and, therefore, to put yourself in subjection to the
PAIDAGWGOS again and to remain under his instruction (using the STOICEIA)
means that you prefer to remain a child and that you will *never* inherit
the promise of inheritance. ("For if those who live by law are heirs,
faith has no value and the promise is worthless" [Romans 4.14, NIV].)

God bless,
Jason Hare
Ozark Christian College