corpus-paul - Re: Paul's Interpreters

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: pmh15 AT cam.ac.uk (Peter M. Head)
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Paul's Interpreters
  • Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2000 17:08:14 +0000

"If Lyra had not played (his Lyre?), Luther would not have danced".

Edgar Krentz wrote:

>I am surprised that you cite no interpreter between Augustine and the
>Reformation. Did the Victorines, Thomas Aquinas, Nicolas of Lyra have
>nothing to contribute? When did the shift to the literal sense begin.
>
>Si Lyra non lyrasset,
>Lutherus non saltassat.

Interesting, challenging, and helpful.
Which Victorines do you mean? ODCC names William of Champeaux, Adam, Hugh,
Richard, and Walter of St. Victor. But which are the Pauline scholars?
On Aquinas I was proposing to take a look at Aquinas' commentary on
Galatians for the course. Is there something else that is important?
Nicholas of Lyre (ODCC again) is new to me. But that looks like my loss
(over 100 editions of his commentaries between 1471 and 1600!!) and
Luther's gain.
This is new territory for me (hence the lectures, hence tapping in to the
help of the list). I can't imagine that I'll get much time on them. Is that
Protestant bias? Would they get more space in Catholic settings?

>Philip Melanchthon used Romans as the basis for his Loci Theologici,
>which set the tone for treating Romans as a statement of doctrine
>with some negative effects for a long time.

This is important, at least for the history of the study of Romans (and the
parallel with Jimmy Dunn?). I would note this in passing as one aspect of
the reformed tradition following on from Luther. But I don't suppose I
would have time to actually look in any detail at what Melanchthon did with
Romans.

>And Albert Schweizer did a history of Pauline Studies way back
>wkhen, if myk memory does not fail me. [I am in Berkeley, my library
>in Chicago.]

Sure. Geschichte der paulinischen Forschung, 1912; ET: Paul and his
Interpreters, 1912. Takes a nodding look as far back as Grotius, but really
only gets interested from Baur onwards. Good resource for otherwise
forgotten stuff, and for the breadth of vision etc. (and background to his
own _Mysticism_ etc.)

All good points. Teaching sure is a good way to get an education.

Peter

Dr. Peter M. Head
Tyndale House
36 Selwyn Gardens