corpus-paul - Re: The Decree of Acts 15

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Loren Rosson <rossoiii AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: The Decree of Acts 15
  • Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 05:50:16 -0700 (PDT)

Jim, this issue came up in discussing Acts 15, and you
wrote:

> Mt. 19 and Mk. 10 attack polygamy. . . Male divorce
> and remarriage is polygamy. By attacking polygamy,
> Jesus attacks male remarriage as adultery.

Polygamy is not an issue in these texts. Polygamy
existed in ancient Israel but disappeared after the
Babylonian Exile, when there was a switch from
aggressive to defensive marriage strategies. By the
first century, polygamy was long gone.

If you'd like, we can pursue further discussion of
what Jesus really meant in Mt. 19 and Mk. 10 off-list.

Loren Rosson III,
Nashua NH
rossoiii AT yahoo.com