corpus-paul - Re: The Decree of Acts 15

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: MillerJimE AT aol.com
  • To: corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: The Decree of Acts 15
  • Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2000 00:57:38 EDT

I think my problem comes from the speech of James to Paul in Acts
21:20-25 with ends with a reiteration of the decree from Acts 15. Perhaps I
am reading too much into the text, but I have the feeling that James & co. is
less than sure of Paul's loyalty to the council and is attempting to shape
Paul's official statements and behavior. Again perhaps I am overreading when
I find Paul's silent aquiescence to be troubling. Pauline scholarship is
full of disputes over the precise relationship between Paul and James, and I
wonder if some of the tension is reflected in how the two are portrayed in
Acts 21 (or just in how I read Acts 21).
Jim Miller