corpus-paul - Seed of Abraham

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: MillerJimE AT aol.com
  • To: corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Seed of Abraham
  • Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2000 00:55:44 EDT

I am in search of bibliography on Paul's use of Abraham's seed in
Galatians 3:29 and Romans 4:16; 9:6-13. In Galatians Paul conceives of
Abraham's seed expansively, encompassing Greek, Jew, slave and free. In
Romans 9, however, Paul is more circumspect, making the point that biological
descent from Abraham does not necessarily mean inheritance of the promise.
In Romans 9 Paul seems to be avoiding his expansive approach indicated in
Galatians.
I am unsure of Paul's use in Romans 4:13-17. Is Paul limiting himself
here to Abraham's genetic descendants (as in 4:1) or is Paul assuming his
readers will understand his point, that Abraham's seed includes gentiles as
well as Jews? A preliminary search has turned up little (I am out of my
field here) and I would appreciate any leads.
Jim Miller