corpus-paul - Re: Publication of Thesis

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Jeffrey B. Gibson" <jgibson000 AT home.com>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Publication of Thesis
  • Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2000 15:42:04 -0500

John Smith wrote:

> I never thought my thesis would be ever be topical! I
> have been contacted my a number of people interested
> in reading it, but also by a publisher who wants to
> publish it (as long as I don't send out photocopies to
> potential purchasers!).
>
> Is this a normal request?

May I note that since the information John requests is not strictly speaking
on topic,
List Members who wish to respond to him should do so OFF LIST.

However, since he asks one question in particular that may be of interest to
those on
the List who have not yet published a thesis (but who hope to), I'm taking
the liberty
of sending an on list reply..

> What other publishers should I consider?

It is generally viewed as unethical to consider -- and particularly to submit
one's
work to -- other publishers while one's manuscript is under review by another,
especially one who has solicited your work. Now, lining up a list of
publishers to whom
one might send a manuscript is not unethical. But you should act upon this
List one at
a time, and then only when the particular publisher who has the manuscript in
hand
indicates that your project has not been accepted.

In any case, we can't very well offer suggestions for "other" publishers
until we know
which one it is that made the offer.

Yours,

Jeffrey Gibson