corpus-paul - RE: adoption

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: JERRY SUMNEY <JSUMNEY AT LEXTHEO.EDU>
  • To: 'Corpus-paul' <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: adoption
  • Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 09:59:18 -0400

Sheila and all,

IMHO, it seems unlikely that Castelli is correct about the meaning
of huiothesein in Paul given his use of philial language in Galatians 3.
That is, he includes women, slaves, etc. among the "sons" of God. Outside
the NT the term is normally attached to males because they were able to
inherit more easily in many parts of the Greek world. The meaning of
adoption for Paul, I think, is that one is brought into the family of God at
the high level of one who will receive an inheritance, not just as a part of
the extended household of dependents. Philo speaks of Abraham being adopted
by God and of the riches that brings him (Sob. 56, 57).

I wonder if investigation of alumni and alumnae in Roman practice
might bring in some interesting material? Also a look at the adoption
practices of some emperors?

There is also the works by Brendan Byrne, _'Sons of God' -- 'Seed of
Abraham'_, AnBib, 1979; M. Vellanickal, _ The Divine SOnship of Christians
in the Johannine Writings_, AnBib, 1977.

I hope your investigation goes well.

Jerry

Jerry L. Sumney
Lexington Theological Seminary