corpus-paul - Vs: Re: Paul's collection and the Starvation in Judaea

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Sakari Häkkinen <sakari.hakkinen AT sci.fi>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Vs: Re: Paul's collection and the Starvation in Judaea
  • Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 21:08:24 +0300

Hi Mark,
and thank you for your reply.

>>Now, if there was any quarrell on who is a real Jew, as there most certainly was at that time,
>What does this last statement mean?

I meant that there most probably were different currents of Judaism arguing against each other on some central issues of Judaism, such as the obedience/ right interpretation of the Torah, relations to Gentiles etc. Jesus-movement was suspectable because at least some of its adherents seemed to have broken the Torah or interpreted it anew quite radically and they seemed to accept even Gentiles to full members of their society without circumcision. Paul is the best example of this. I did not mean that they were not Jews, sorry for the inadequate language. However, when there was a dispute on sharing some economical aid, the questions between the currents were most certainly used as arguments so that the more odd communities were easily left out of the goods.

Maybe that the collection had nothing to do with Helena's campaign, but, as you wrote, the economical disbalance might still have been a good reason to Paul to organize the collect.

>>Have you checked the books on the collection by Georgi? Nickle? Although they have different and more theologically based approaches to the issues, they might brush upon such an example along the way.>>

Yes, thank you.

All the best,

Sakari Hakkinen, PhD
University of Helsinki
Department of Biblical Studies
sakari.hakkinen AT evl.fi
http://www.helsinki.fi/teol/hyel/henkilo/henkilo.html

  • Vs: Re: Paul's collection and the Starvation in Judaea, Sakari Häkkinen, 08/15/2000