corpus-paul - Rom 3,21-26

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Christian Maymann" <maymann AT adr.dk>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Rom 3,21-26
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 01:42:18 +0200

Dear All

Philip Maertens ask, if I could resume Schreiners Argument for reading APOLYTRWSIS for You.
The first point is, that he see 3,21-26 as a description of the way the promises made to Israel have been fulfilled (Schreiner Romans, Baker 1998 p.178). The consequences is, that he read the passage as a whole in the light of the promise of Israels redemption.  This means e.g:

i) "ou gar estin diastolĂȘ" in verses 23 is to be read in light of the promises of future deliverance of the gentile too made in OT (e.g. Isa 42,6-7, 43,5-7, 14-21; 48,20-22; 49,5-13)

ii) "APOLYTRWSIS" in light of Israels redemption is naturally seen as a second Exodus. This reading is based on two arguments:
    a) Word from the lyt- word ground, from which apolytrwsis stems, harks back to the liberation of Israel from Egypt (e.g. Deut 7,8)
    b) Pauls trades particulary on the exodus associations of the term, maintanining that the liberation Israel longed for has been         realized "in Christ Jesus".

That is his arguments - I must confess, that I'm not convinced while
i) I cannot see, that the Exoduspattern is present at all in Rom 3,21-26
ii) If APOLYTRWSIS referes to a new Exodus, I wonder why Paul prefer APOLYTRWSIS inn sted of just LYTRWSIS. As Holmyard points out, the only APOLYTRWSIS in LXX is Dan 4,34, and that text is not about a second Exodus.
iii) I dont know about any uses of APOLYTRWSIS, outside or inside LXX, that referes back to Exodus.

(In the next few days I'm out on a trip - If some of You wonder, why I mabye is late in mailing back, that is the reason.)

Have a Good Day!

Christian Maymann
Sdr. Fasanvej 94B,-38
2500 Valby, Copenhagen