corpus-paul - Paul in the Gospels

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Sakari H�kkinen" <sakari.hakkinen AT sci.fi>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Paul in the Gospels
  • Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 18:24:05 +0300

Considering Paul's influence to later Christianity, isn't it
odd that he is not at all mentioned in the Gospels? Of
course the canonical gospels more or less reflect Pauline
doctrine (indeed, from Pauline point of view they are quite
orthodox, aren't they?). Only the Gospel according to
Matthew does not fit well in Paul's theology - therefore it
is quite strange that just this gospel was the first and
most valuable in the early church.

In some of these scholarly lists there were discussion on
Mark 14,51-52, and I recall someone introducing the idea
that the NEANISKOS here was in fact Paul. I was not quite
convinced on this, but continue asking why Paul is not
introduced in any way in the Gospels, only in Acts. As all
the gospels were written after Paul's death and counting the
enormous influence he had, I find it not a problem to the
authors of the gospels that Paul was not historically with
Jesus in his lifetime. He could have been introduced some
other way - even as an unnamed young man, whose presence is
not at all necessary otherwise to the story. Are there any
other possible passages that refer to Paul in the gospels?
How about the apocryphal Gospels?

I have been rereading the valuable work of H-J Schoeps
(Theologie und Geschichte des Judenchristentums) and he
suggests that Paul could be referred to in Matth. 13,24-30,
where the EXQPOS perhaps signifies Paul as it also signifies
him in Pseudo-Clementine literature. If this is right, Paul
is referred to in negative sense in Matth.

with kind regards,

Sakari

Sakari Hakkinen, PhD
University of Helsinki