corpus-paul - Re: Pauline and Jesus Movements

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "David C. Hindley" <DHindley AT compuserve.com>
  • To: corpus-paul
  • Subject: Re: Pauline and Jesus Movements
  • Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 23:42:55

Jim Hester said:

>>In 1990 Bart Ehrman wrote an article in JBL (109: 463-74) arguing that
Peter and Cephas were two different people. 1n 1992 Dale Allison responded,
also in JBL (111:489-95), taking up and refuting every one of Ehrman's
claims.

One of Allison's points is that writers -- ancient and modern -- use
synonyms to "avoid repetition" of terms, even names. In Paul's case I would
add that I appears that when Paul wants to associate Peter more closely
with Jewish Christianity in Palestine, he refers to him as "Cephas"; when
an "ally," then "Peter." The use of the names becomes an argumentative
strategy.<<

Yes, I was aware of that article by Ehrman (although I have as yet to read
it). Thanks for the pointer to Allison's response. This weekend I'll take a
stab at finding them at the library.

The problem with reconstructing the past is that we can never be absolutely
sure about anything. As a result, all interpretations simmer down to our
perceptions as to the liklihood that a reconstruction could have occurred.
Since we all come into the fray with differing experiences and
expectations, I doubt that there will ever be universal agreement.

But that does lead me to another issue. Off list a gentleman expressed the
opinion that my reconstruction was based primarily on special pleading. In
some respects, and on some issues, that may be true. However, that has
always been *my* complaint about biblical scholarship in general: the
sacred nature of the texts require (or at least get) special treatment,
such that they are not subject to the same treatment they would recieve if
they were documents of any other movement, religion or sect.

Seeing that I might be slipping into the same pit, I bring two questions
into the discussion:

What constitutes "special pleading" (which is a term originating with logic
and/or rhetoric, I believe) with respect to criticism of the NT text of the
Pauline corpus?

How frequently is it engaged in, and by whom? (Examples would be good) Is
it a conservative, moderate, or liberal phenomenon, or are we all guilty?

Regards,

Dave Hindley
Cleveland, Ohio, USA