corpus-paul - Re: Pauline and Jesus Movements

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Jim Hester" <hester AT jasper.uor.edu>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Pauline and Jesus Movements
  • Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2000 08:50:58 -0700

David Hindley wrote:

> The relationship between the Peter of the Gospels and the Cephas of
> Galatians is textually very tenuous. In the Textus Receptus,
> PETRON,PETROS/PETRW appears in Gal 1;18; 2:7,8,11,14, and KHFAS
> appears in 2:9 (and 1 Cor 3:22; 9:5; and as KHFA in 1 Cor 1:12 &
> 15:5). However, W-H and the GNT (NA26 at least) have one or another
> form of KHFA/KHFAS/KEFAN *except* at Gal 2:7,8 (which use PETROS and
> PETRW respectively), and these verses are regularly (although not
> universally) regarded as a bona-fide interpolation. Otherwise, the
> only other place we find a form of "Peter" is in the Gospels and Acts
> (except KHFAS in John 1:42).

In 1990 Bart Ehrman wrote an article in JBL (109: 463-74) arguing that Peter
and Cephas were two different people. 1n 1992 Dale Allison responded, also
in JBL (111:489-95), taking up and refuting every one of Ehrman's claims.

One of Allison's points is that writers -- ancient and modern -- use
synonyms to "avoid repetition" of terms, even names. In Paul's case I would
add that I appears that when Paul wants to associate Peter more closely with
Jewish Christianity in Palestine, he refers to him as "Cephas"; when an
"ally," then "Peter." The use of the names becomes an argumentative
strategy.

Jim Hester "Never be afraid to try something new.
736 Buckingham Drive Remember, amateurs built the ark.
Redlands, CA 92374 Professionals built the Titanic."
(909) 792-0533
hester AT uor.edu http://rhetjournal.uor.edu
http://www.ars-rhetorica.net