corpus-paul - RE: HILASTERION

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Stephen.Finlan" <Stephen.Finlan AT durham.ac.uk>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: HILASTERION
  • Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 17:12:48 +0000

"Daniel P. Bailey" wrote:
> point. Prof. Dunn told me at SBL in November that he was corresponding with
> an American who wanted to do research into Paul's use of atonement

Must be someone else. I have been at Durham for six months now.
My supervisor is Stephen Barton (Dunn is officially on study
leave). Thank you for the bibliographic references. The main
German authors I have consulted are Janowski, Gese, Stuhlmacher,
Breytenbach

I share your taste in logic. Whether or not Paul was supersessionist
must be assessed on the basis of the texts. And of course it's
important to point out that Paul did not teach the kind of
supersessionism that we see in later centuries, when Jewish
tradition is denigrated, mocked.

Also, I have to say I like the compromise transliteration you give:
hILASTHRION. It conform's to the list's standards for letters, but
leaves out the cumbersome brackets around the rough breathing.

> Paul's theology opens up to the Gentiles a cultic type of access to God
> previously associated with the Jerusalem temple and Jewish privelege.

Excellent summary sentence.

> Byrne, Romans, 127: the death of Christ “supersedes” the atoning function
> of the temple.

Another good summary. Paul must indeed have been a controversial
figure,
coming into synagogues and saying that the true fulfillment of Jewish
liturgy was the Messiah who had come, had died, and had been raised.
He would be radically relativizing the value of existing Jewish
liturgies, and asking Jews to listen to his preaching, as something
more valid than the liturgy for which they had come. Perhaps he
even used the language of typology (cf 1 Cor 10): Jewish holidays and
scriptural characters were types, while the "true" Joseph or Moses, the
"real" Day of Atonement, had come.

Steve Finlan