corpus-paul - RE: Goulder's Two Mission Hypothesis

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: JERRY SUMNEY <JSUMNEY AT LEXTHEO.EDU>
  • To: 'Corpus-paul' <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Goulder's Two Mission Hypothesis
  • Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2000 16:26:35 -0500

Jim Day wrote: I just finished Professor Goulder's book on St Paul Versus
St. Peter: A
Tale of Two Missions. Professor Goulder's theories put the "puzzle" together

almost too neatly. I would be interested on the group's thoughts on
Professor
Goulder's Two Mission Hypothesis.

My response to Goulder is that this latest revival of Baur is still too
simple for the evidence of the Pauline epistles. I have recently argued
that there are two anti-Pauline movements responded to in the undisputed
letters and then other types of problems and opponents besides those. One
of these movements disagreed with Paul about matters relating to
understandings of leadership/ministry/apostleship. The other was concerned
about the place of the Law in the church. Thus the question of types of
early Christianity gets (and of course I think needs)a more complete
recognition of the diversity present.

These kinds of questions are often debated in emerging movements, so it is
not surprising that they appear among the Pauline communities.

Well, this is at least another take on the matter.

Jerry

Jerry L. Sumney
Lexington Theological Seminary
631 S. Limestone