corpus-paul - the function of the topos X died for Y

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Jeffrey B. Gibson" <jgibson000 AT mailhost.chi.ameritech.net>
  • To: crosstalk2 <crosstalk2 AT egroups.com>, Corpus Paulinum <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: the function of the topos X died for Y
  • Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2000 15:27:22 -0600

With apologies for cross posting.

I wonder if List members would be kind enough to confirm or disconfirm
some observations I've been deducing from the use by Hellenistic authors
of the expression (found in Paul) "X died/gave himself for Y" when the Y
in this expression is X's POLIS or country or "his/her own"?

1. that the dying referred to is always viewed as having a salvific
quality -- that its to say, it confers a great benefit upon those for
whom X died

2. that this benefit would not have been secured if the one who died had
NOT given his life, particularly in the manner in the X in question did
die

3. that the benefit in view is usually (always?) deliverance from an
enemy of, or a military threat to, the POLIS or the nation/group for
whom X died

4. that the activity that the X who dies was engaged in when he/she died
for the POLIS or the nation etc. was military in nature and/or involved
some form of warfare or killing.

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

Yours,

Jeffrey Gibson

--
Jeffrey B. Gibson
7423 N. Sheridan Road #2A

  • the function of the topos X died for Y, Jeffrey B. Gibson, 02/09/2000