corpus-paul - Paul's teaching

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Jim Hester" <hester AT jasper.uor.edu>
  • To: Corpus Paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Paul's teaching
  • Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2000 10:03:16 -0800

John D. wrote:

> I don't mean what scholars
> normally imply by the word 'gospel' - the heart of Paul's theology as
> evidenced by the main body of the core epistles - I mean the apostle's
> primary proclamation, or missionary message; that collection of
> Messianic-events, theological propositions and ethical instructions which
> Paul felt constituted the traditions of first importance for non-believers,
> but which only receive passing reference in the epistles.

I have adopted the designation "Christian paideia" for that collection of
teachings. I think it has a broader connotation than "gospel" and includes
both the theological and ethical dimensions of Paul's teachings. I also
think it implies the notion of learning how to live as a member of the
eschatological people of God in the midst of an otherwise unsympathetic and
often chaotic world.

Yes, I think a description of Paul's paideia would be extremely useful as
long as the interpreter kept in front of the reader the notion that Paul's
teaching can be and usually is situational, functional and contingent.
Jim Hester "Never be afraid to try something new.
736 Buckingham Drive Remember, amateurs built the ark.
Redlands, CA 92374 Professionals built the Titanic."
(909) 792-0533
hester AT uor.edu http://rhetjournal.uor.edu

  • Paul's teaching, Jim Hester, 02/05/2000