corpus-paul - Re: Paul as apostate (was Paul obligated to Torah?)

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "moon-ryul jung" <moon AT saint.soongsil.ac.kr>
  • To: corpus-paul
  • Subject: Re: Paul as apostate (was Paul obligated to Torah?)
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 19:30:23

Mark, thanks for the comments. The part I quote below seems to give me some
hope to understand the 3:22-4:7. For example, consider:

3:23 Now before faith came, we were confined under the law, kept under
restraint until faith should be revealed. 3:24 So that the law was our
custodian until Christ came, that we might be justified by faith. 3:25 But
now that faith has come, we are no longer under a custodian; 3:26 for in
Christ Jesus you are all sons of God, through faith.

You suggest that the above verses mean or imply that
>In the awaited time Israel will no longer be burdened with the
> problem of proselyte conversion, BECAUSE the Gentiles can be
sons of God through faith in Christ.

In this interpretation of v. 23-26, I take "we" = the Jews, and "you" = the
Gentiles. I read Gal 3-4 once more, and it seems that it is quite important
not to lump "we" and "you" together, except when the context strongly
implies
that "we" = the whole humanity (both Jews and Gentiles) as in 3:14. Is it
agreeable?

Moon R. Jung
Associate Professor
Sogang Univ, Seoul, Korea

[Mark]
> I do not see the problem Moon, in chapter 3. ....
A pedagogos is a guide to help a