corpus-paul - Re: Paul as apostate (was:Paul Not a Pharisee?)

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Mark D. Nanos" <nanos AT gvi.net>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Paul as apostate (was:Paul Not a Pharisee?)
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2000 09:28:03 -0600

Hi Sakari,

A few comments below, then I will bow out.

you wrote:
I did not mean that Paul's view to the Torah was totally
different from other teachers. What was different was his
view that the Gentiles need not obey the Torah.

I disagree. What Jewish teachers do we know of that taught gentiles to obey the Torah? As far as I know the sentiments are quite the opposite, gentiles are not obliged to observe Torah, better yet, not even privileged to do so might be the view of some teachers.

At least
this deviated from the teachers Paul himself attacks to in
Galatia.

So you think this is the case in Galatia? If this is your only evidence it is circular, but worse, I do not think that these teacher taught this. The issue is not Law observance but identity: do they need to become proselytes to become righteous ones or not? A different issue altogether.

And it deviated enough to arise accusations of
apostasy - whether or not they were true. Those who accused
Paul might have been closer to him in many other issues than
convert problem.

I still have not seen any evidence of this charge of apostasy contemporaneous to Paul brought forth, so I do not see how you can still base your comments upon it as though agreement was reached.

That is enough from me. It has been fun to visit Sakari, and I look forward to seeing you later this year, and your work in English when it is ready.

Regards,
Mark Nanos
Kansas City