corpus-paul - Was Phoebe a Deacon?

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Howard Broman" <howard AT rosejewelry.com>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Was Phoebe a Deacon?
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 18:19:53 -0800

Hi! Folks,

I am one of your many lurkers who enjoys the academic discussion.
As you know there are many debates among non-academics
about Paul and teachings within the Pastoral Epistles. It is
'apparent' that Paul is discouraging women from teaching, and
that men
are the only ones that can be a 'deacon'. Yet we have in Roman
16 Paul describes Phoebe as a servant (diakonos).

Is Phoebe a deacon in spite of 1Tim 3: ?

Thank you for your consideration of the subject.

Regards, Howard
Kindly overlook contextual errors, I use speech recognition
software.

I understand the rules of the mailing list and do not intend to
debate the subject with anyone-on list. But would deeply
appreciate your thoughts. H

  • Was Phoebe a Deacon?, Howard Broman, 01/27/2000