corpus-paul - 1 Thessalonians

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Frank W. Hughes" <fwhughes AT sunbeach.net>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: 1 Thessalonians
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 19:55:16 -0400

Hello to all from sunny Barbados! Some of you know that I had two hard disk
crashes in August and October. This was rectified by the installation of a
new hard disk (thanks to Deacon Ian Rock).

I am teaching a course that the University of the West Indies recognizes as
T20G, The Pauline Epistles. I am asking my students to join Corpus Paulinum
to read the postings to the list. Most of our students do have access to the
Internet either through their own account with an ISP or through the
University.

Our class is beginning this semester with the study of the Paul of the
epistles vs. the Paul of Acts. We have now moved to 1 Thessalonians and are
dealing with the classic ways of looking at 1 Thessalonians (e.g. its
excision from the "Hauptbriefe" by F. C. Baur). We are dealing with the
whole issue of whether or not Paul had a doctrine of justification by faith
when he wrote 1 Thessalonians. (I think he did not.) This gets us into the
question of the "early Paul" and his theology. And we are dealing with the
question of Paul and Judaism as well. On Thursday in our tutorial we will
deal with the question of whether 1 Thessalonians is an example of
epideictic, deliberative, or judicial rhetoric. Between now and the end of
the semester (the Thursday before Palm Sunday) we ought to be having some
lively debates in class. We are
reviving the tutorial hour this semester, so that I have two hours of lecture
and one hour of tutorial each week.

I have cautioned my students not to post any replies on Corpus Paulinum; but
I'm sure that you will provide a lot of food for thought this semester. If
my undergraduate students want to ask a question or make a comment I will do
so for them.

All best wishes,
Frank W. Hughes
Lecturer in New Testament Studies
Codrington College
Barbados
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Crete/4756

  • 1 Thessalonians, Frank W. Hughes, 01/24/2000