corpus-paul - Re: Romans 1

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Edgar Krentz <ekrentz AT lstc.edu>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Romans 1
  • Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 15:38:41 -0600

>> what light does that shed on the phrase "obedience of
>> faith" in Rom 1:5 and how does the thanksgiving prepare for it.
>
>I am still working on that and don't have a good response to your question.
>However, I will venture one thing, and I am not tell you anything that you
>don't already know! Rhetorically Paul's apocalyptic world view has a
>pragmatic side; I am tending to come down on the side of those who
>understand the genitive "of faith" to be translated something like,
>"obedience which is empowered by faith." That motif is powerfully expressed
>in the Thessalonian correspondence and I believe is elaborated in Romans.
>The spiritual gift in 1:11 may well be the pragmatic expression of faith.
>It appears to be that in Galatians 5:22 and following, e.g.

Jim, just so I don't hide my light under a bushel, I take the phrase in 1:5
to mean "the obedience with is faith," i.e. a genetive of apposition. I
find that whenever Paul uses such phrases, like "law of love" when he joins
two terms that seem teo contradict one another, something very important is
at stake for Paul. Another example of such oxymoron is "living sacrifice"
in Rom 12:1.

I find that my interpretation agrees witeh Paul in Rom 3:27-31. But then,
I will probably be told that my Lutheran bones are getting in the way of
the text.

Peace, Ed

Edgar Krentz
Professor of New Testament Emeritus