corpus-paul - Romans 1

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Jim Hester" <hester AT jasper.uor.edu>
  • To: Corpus Paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Romans 1
  • Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 10:41:15 -0800

Listers!

First of all, thanks to all those who responded to my earlier request for
bibliographical sources for the study of Romans 1, well, actually, Rom
1:1-15. Although I am still working through just a small number of things
recommended to me, I have already been greatly benefited by your generosity.

Now I want to ask for reactions to some things I think I see going on in the
thanksgiving period, which I identify as 1:8-12, and the body opening,
1:13-15. (BTW, I claim no radical new insights here; I am just checking to
see if I am way off base on something!)

I operate on the assumption that the thanksgiving typically provides some
summary of, or hint at, the major topics to be elaborated in the body of the
letter. That is certainly the case in the Thessalonian correspondence and
is also true of the THAUMAZW period in Galatians. Therefore, ISTM that the
major topic of Romans is community maintenance. By that I mean that Paul
wants to share what Ernest Bormann calls his rhetorical vision, or what I
have come also to call his "paideia," with the Roman house churches as a
combined exercise in consciousness creating and consciousness raising. (I
provide definitions of those concepts in my paper posted at both the Corpus
Paulinum site and the JSRCNT site.) Both those exercises strengthen
community and renew/adapt rhetorical visions. It occurs to me that Jewett
(and others) may well be correct in arguing that the purpose of the letter
is to lay the groundwork for the Spanish mission. Paul needs to become part
of the community in Roman and the best way of doing that is to share his
vision and its attendant fantasy themes, which implicitly invites Roman
Christians to share and chain out theirs, not only among themselves but also
with Paul when he arrives.

That this is the purpose seems to be supported by the body opening, 1:13-15.
I was struck by Fitzmyer's observation that the phrase, which he translates,
"I am indebtedŠ" refers in part to the things Paul has learned from his
contacts with the Hellenistic world and diaspora Judaism. That leads me to
think that Paul's reference in 1:11 to being "Šmutually encouraged by each
other's faithŠ"(NRSV), and "Šeagerness to preach the gospelŠ"(1:15) are
expressions of Paul's expectation that while he knows he has something to
offer the Romans in the way of enhancing their understanding the gospel, he
also believes that they have something that they can teach him. The
question is, just what might the Romans offer? Paul can't fully know that
and so he lays out his paideia as a way of getting the conversation started.

Under this scenario, the challenge that Paul faces is that for the Romans
there is no exigence and no rhetorical situation. For Paul both were
provided by the Corinthian controversy. That controversy swirled in part
around his apostolic persona; thus he decides to establish that immediately
in the opening greeting of Romans.

Okay, that is where I am at the moment. If it is naïve, forgive me, but,
short of out right ridicule, let me know what you think!

Oh, by the way, I have worked my way through monographs by Campbell, Davies,
Elliott, Guerra and Jervis, but haven't, unfortunately, been able to read
Nanos yet. Of course, reading and comprehension in my case may be two very
different things!!!

Jim Hester "Never be afraid to try something new.
736 Buckingham Drive Remember, amateurs built the ark.
Redlands, CA 92374 Professionals built the Titanic."
(909) 792-0533
hester AT uor.edu http://rhetjournal.uor.edu