corpus-paul - External Evidence of Authorship

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Kevin Smith" <kgs AT iafrica.com>
  • To: "Corpus Paulinum" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: External Evidence of Authorship
  • Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 21:19:06 +0200

Dear friends

This is my first post to this list. My thesis promoter suggested that somone on the list may be able to help out with the following problem.

In studying the authorship of the Pastoral Epistles (= PE) I found conflicting evaluations of how strong the external evidence for Pauline authorship of the PE is when compared with the external evidence for other Pauline Epistles. Guthrie (NT Introduction, p. 585-588) says the PE are as well attested as any of the other Paulines except for Romans and 1 Corinthians. W.G.Kummel (Introduction to the NT, p. 370) and Dibelius-Conzelmann (The Pastoral Epistles, p. 1-2) both regard them as being poorly attested.

I would like to review the external evidence for the other 10 Paulines so that I can compare it with that of the PE, but neither Guthrie nor Kummel list it. Could anyone help me out, either by listing the main witnesses for each letter or by pointing me to a publication that gives such a listing.

Many thanks,

Kevin Smith
Doctoral student
University of Stellenbosch