corpus-paul - Re: Paul and meat sacrificed to idols

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Jon Peter" <jnp AT home.com>
  • To: corpus-paul
  • Subject: Re: Paul and meat sacrificed to idols
  • Date: Sun, 10 Oct 1999 0:26:36

On 10/02/99, "Nathan McGovern <NM_McGovern AT ACAD.FANDM.EDU>" wrote:
> I posted the following to the XTalk list earlier today:
>
> > I'm a bit confused as to what Paul is saying in 1 Cor. 10:14-32. Is he
> > saying, "Eat meat sacrificed to idols," or "Don't eat meat sacrificed to
> > idols"?
> >
> > Reading just up to verse 22, it seems clear that he is saying the latter.
> > But in verses 23-29a, he seems to reverse course and say, "You can eat
> > meat
> > sacrificed to idols, but if someone (presumably a Jewish Christian who
> > might complain to James) says something to you about it, don't eat it.
> > But
> > verse 29b doesn't make any sense at all: He seems to be saying, "Don't
> > eat
> > meat sacrificed to idols if someone says something to you about it, not on
> > account of your own conscience but on account of the other person's,
> > BECAUSE you shouldn't be ruled by another person's conscience," which is
> > self-contradictory. Maybe my translation is just confusing. In any case,
> > Paul returns again in verse 32 to his policy of "When in Rome, do as the
> > Romans do," which again suggests that he is telling people to eat meat
> > sacrificed to idols if they can get away with it.
> >
> > To wit, I am thoroughly confused.

There doesn't seem to be a contradiction in my NIV. The following
summarizes Paul's line of reasoning, showing his consistency:

(1)
[Absolute rule] “Don’t eat meat that you know is sacrificed to idols!”
10.14-22
[Explanation for why]: “Everything is “permissible,” but not everything is
good to do. The rule is, look out for other people’s welfare first. (That’s
why you’re not eating.)” v.23-24

(2)
“In cases where you don’t know if meat was sacrificed, don’t worry about
it.” (v 25-27)

(3)
But if a man serves meat to you and says “this was idol-sacrificed,” don’t
eat it -- for his sake. (v.28-29, cf v 24)

(4)
[Poses rhetorical objection to this:] “Why,” you ask, “is my freedom
restricted by another man’s conscience? Why if I’m thanking God etc, am I
still considered in violation of good practice?” (v29b-30)

(5)
[Answers own objection:] “If, then -- these things being so [Gr oun ] --
you eat, drink or whatever you do, glorify God and don’t cause anyone else
to stumble whether Jew, Pagan or Christian. Because I (a shining example)
am not acting for myself but always for the greater good…” (v31-33)

The syntax is clumsy shifting from (4) to (5) but the larger logical
thought is consistent. The word OUN = "these things being so" refers to the
principle that freedom is not to be exercised if doing so will harm
others.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,

Jon