corpus-paul - Re: Paul's use of narrative

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Andrew Goddard" <andrew.goddard AT wycliffe-hall.oxford.ac.uk>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Paul's use of narrative
  • Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 13:18:45 +0100

Brian, in addition to the suggestions from Torrey you may like to look at
Stephen Fowl's work. He has a chapter in "Engaging Scripture" (Blackwell,
1998, pp128-60) entitled "Who can read Abraham's Story ?" which deals with
this section of the epistle and uses material which was in article of same
title in JSNT 55 (1994), 77-95. His "The Story of Christ in the Ethics of
Paul" (Sheffield Academic Press, 1991) and "Reading in Communion" (With L.G.
JOnes, Eerdmans, 1991) may also be of interest in relation to narrative in
Paul.

On narrative in Paul's theology the best treatment is probably still Richard
Hays, "The Faith of JEsus Christ" (Scholars, 1983) but I think that's more
Gal 3 than Gal 4.

Have a few thoughts in relation to topic itself (your query 3) which will
try to find time to make comprehensible and post later.

ALl the best with the paper,
Andrew.

Andrew Goddard,
Wycliffe Hall,