corpus-paul - RE: synagogues) in Thessalonika

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "David C. Hindley" <DHindley AT compuserve.com>
  • To: corpus-paul
  • Subject: RE: synagogues) in Thessalonika
  • Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 16:13:1

Jim said:

>>The source of my information is the ABD. s.v. Thessalonica, last 2
paragraphs. [...] There is another distinguishing characteristic [besides
long orthography] which may identify a "Samaritan" provenance for an
inscription: i.e., if the quotation follows the Sam. Pent. I believe that
the inscription mentioned does follow the Sam. Pent. Which would indicate a
Samaritan community.<<

On the way to work today it came to mind that I might find something in the
revised edition of Schurer's _History of the Jewish People_. Now that I
have a chance to look it up, I found that volume III.i, pg 66, says
specifically "The Greek inscription includes the Samaritan version of the
blessing of the priests in Numbers 6:22-7...".

The Samaritan Pentateuch, I understand, is distinct enough from the MT to
make it readily identifiable in a number of places. It appears that your
suspicion was correct. My comments were based only on the knowledge of the
two blessings written in paleo-Hebrew, which alone would have left me
wondering.

Regards,

Dave Hindley
Cleveland, Ohio, USA