corpus-paul - RE: synagogues) in Thessalonika

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Jim West <jwest AT highland.net>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: synagogues) in Thessalonika
  • Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 10:40:23 -0400

At 08:47 AM 9/21/99 -0400, you wrote:

>Not having read the work cited in your reply to Jeffrey's, could you please
>clarify whether "Samaritan" is the term used by your source, or is your
>interpretive description of this script.

The source of my information is the ABD. s.v. Thessalonica, last 2
paragraphs.

>The reason I ask is that, as far as I know, the only difference in *script*
>between Samaritan and Jewish Hebrew is the standard use of paleo-Hebrew
>characters by the Samaritans. Still, it is not unknown in Jewish circles
>either, notably among the Qumran texts and on coins of the Jewish revolts.
>Coin scripts often share characteristics of inscription scripts. What I
>think would characterize an inscription as "Samaritan" would be the use of
>"long" orthography.

There is another distinguishing characteristic which may identify a
"Samaritan" provenance for an inscription: i.e., if the quotation follows
the Sam. Pent. I believe that the inscription mentioned does follow the
Sam. Pent. Which would indicate a Samaritan community.

>Could not this inscription have been made, with just as much liklihood, by
>a Jewish group which favored paleo-Hebrew script for formal inscriptions?

I suppose it could. Unless it includes a text form which adheres to the
Sam. Pent.

>The only factor arguing against this, from the information you relayed, is
>the attribution of the inscription to the 4-6th century, as I would think
>the use of paleo-Hebrew among Jews would have pretty much died out by the
>end of the 2nd century.

Agreed.

Best,

Jim