corpus-paul - Re: corpus-paul digest: August 17, 1999

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Robert Lee Foster" <rfoster AT wbcoll.edu>
  • To: corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: corpus-paul digest: August 17, 1999
  • Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 08:11:23 +0000

> Subject: Re: Mark's Article for Review
> From: "Mark D. Nanos" <nanos AT gvi.net>
> Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 07:52:56 -0500

> Details from stories constructed to illustrate his
> argumentative points or authority, person, etc., should be secondary, and
> even then screened for the rhetorical connections rather than expecting the
> details themselves to provide much information, about Galatia in
> particular, that is.

I agree. These stories may merely serve to establish his authority
and have little to do with the present conflict in Galatia. That
relationship must be established after we first examine the passages
which describe the Galatian conflict.

>Of course the autobiographical material in this letter
> may provide the best information available for a meeting Paul had in
> Jerusalem and one in Antioch, in spite of whatever rhetorical limits may be
> imposed because they are embedded in a story constructed for a particular
> point or points he now seeks to illustrate for the Galatian addressees. But
> my concern in this paper was only with the situation of those Galatian
> addressees.

I might submit one example here. (Confessing that I haven't read
the earlier posts on this discussion)

The trouble causers in Galatians are frequently referred to as "false
brothers" but in the text of Galatians, the false brothers were in
Jerusalem not in Galatia. The trouble causers in Galatia are only
talked about or referred to as "the agitators" (or some like term).

This reference demonstrates the tendency to lump together the
trouble causers of Jerusalem and Galatia.

> Thanks,
> Mark Nanos
> Kansas City

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><
Robert Lee Foster
rfoster AT wbcoll.edu
Assistant Professor
of Religion and Philosophy
Williams Baptist College
http://www.wbcoll.edu

Box 3426, WBC
Walnut Ridge, Arkansas 72476

870-886-6741 ext.155

  • Re: corpus-paul digest: August 17, 1999, Robert Lee Foster, 08/18/1999