corpus-paul - None

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: winberyc AT popalex1.linknet.net
  • To: corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: None
  • Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 16:12:19 -0500

To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
From: "Carlton L. Winbery" <winberyc AT popalex1.linknet.net>
Subject: Re: 2Cor13 final verse

>Ray Fincher wrote;

>Apologies for the following resubmission of my posting of 6 August 1999. I
>don't know if it got lost in a server outage, or if it simply wasn't deemed
>to be of sufficient interest to warrant response. If the latter, perhaps
>someone will at least be good enough to tell me to stop wasting your
>valuable list time and space with my lay trivia.
>
>===resubmitted query follows:===
>
>... My reading of this list leads me to believe that someone hereon will be
>able to answer my question(s) regarding the last verse of the last chapter
>of Second Corinthians.
>
> a. In my _Nestle-Aland Greek-English New Testament_ (27th edition)
>the Greek 2Cor13 ends with the 13th verse. The English side (RSV) ends with
>the 14th verse, the Greek 12th verse being split into two, numbered in the
>RSV as the 12th and 13th.
>
> b. The KJV, REB, NASB, NIV, and NASB(U) all agree with the RSV in
>rendering 2Cor13 as having 14 verses.
>
> c. In the NRSV, which I use most frequently nowadays, 2Cor13 verses
>11-13 appear to my untrained eye to be a pretty close translation of the
>NA27 Greek verses 11-13, at least as regards versification.
>
>After all that build-up, here are my two questions:
>
> 1. Why did the NRSV translators go the route they did and revert to
>the NA27 (Greek) numeration? (Or perhaps I should be asking the converse:
>Why did all those other translators split the 12th verse in two, thereby
>creating a fourteen verse 13th chapter?)
>
> 2. The practical question lurking behind all this is: How do I cite
>the words, "The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, the love of God, and the
>communion of the Holy Spirit, be with you all."? Should I call it
>2Cor13.14, 2Cor13.13, or am I forced forever hereafter to have to cite the
>translation being used to avoid any confusion (as "2Cor13.13 [NRSV]",
>"2Cor13.14 [REB]", etc.)

I haven't had a chance to look in the versions. I would guess that someone
before or on the KJV translation committee decided to divide the verse
because it has two distinct sentences, one a command and the other a
declarative sentence. The Revised version, American Standard Version, and
New English Bible are revisions of the KJV and follow it. The New Revised
Standard Version had as chair of its Committee a foremost text critic and
chose to go with what is in most of the Greek texts and other translations
outside the KJV circle; Textus Receptus, Westcott and Hort, Bover,
Nestle-Aland, British and Foreign Bible Soc 2nd, The New Testament: A
Translation for Translators, Die Heilige Schrift (Zurich42), Luther,
Jerusalem Bible (French & Eng), Segond Le Nouveau Testament.

Carlton L. Winbery
Fogleman Prof. of Religion
Louisiana College Box 612
Pineville, LA 71359