corpus-paul - Re: Cabirus cult in Thessalonika

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Edgar Krentz <ekrentz AT lstc.edu>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Cabirus cult in Thessalonika
  • Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 09:55:12 -0500

>What, if anything, can List members tell me about the Cabirus cult in
>Thessalonika in the Hellenistic period?
>
>Yours,
>
>Jeffrey
>--
>Jeffrey B. Gibson
>7423 N. Sheridan Road #2A
>Chicago, Illinois 60626
>e-mail jgibson000 AT ameritech.net

First of all, the cult is centered on the island of Samothrace. It is in
many ways the most obscure mystery cult in ancient Greecde. See Walter
Burkert on Greek Mysteries.

There is a long article on religions at Thessalonica in the HTR in the 30s.
My Thess bibliography is at home, so I cannot give you exact data.

My memory is that the evidence for thessalonica is confused, of uncertain
date (perhaps not there in the first century).

Susan Guettel Cole has a slide lecture on the series on Ancient Mystery
Religions.

More later, perhaps.

Edgar Krentz
Professor of New Testament Emeritus