corpus-paul - Re: Cabirus cult in Thessalonika

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Jeffrey B. Gibson" <jgibson000 AT mailhost.chi.ameritech.net>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Cabirus cult in Thessalonika
  • Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 10:23:25 -0500

Jerry Sumney wrote:

> Jeffrey,
>
> This is not really telling you anything, but you might look at Karl
> Donfried's "The Cults of Thesalonica and the Thessalonian Correspondence,"
> _NTS_ 31 (1985): 336-56. He discusses the Cabiri and gives the sources
> from which he got his information.
>
> Jerry

Thanks for this reference. I will look it up today. In the meantime, can you
-- or
anyone -- tell me about the cults basic beliefs? Were they eschatological in
any way?
Did they demand a certain type of faithfulness from the cult's adherents?
What did the
cult promise to its adherents as the benefits of being a cult member?

Yours,

Jeffrey

--
Jeffrey B. Gibson