corpus-paul - Re: Comments on the Mystery of Romans by Mark Nanos

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Robert M Schacht <bobschacht AT juno.com>
  • To: corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Comments on the Mystery of Romans by Mark Nanos
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 13:20:09 -0700

On Sun, 25 Jul 1999 09:30:52 -0500 "Mark D. Nanos" <nanos AT gvi.net>
writes:
>Dear Moon,
>You wrote:
>
>>Rom 9:30-32:
>>The Gentiles have obtained the righteousness from faith. But
>>Israel, though they pursued the Law of righteousness, has not
>>attained it, BECAUSE they pursued it not from faith but as if
>>it were from works.
>>
>>I would not interpret "because they pursued it not by faith
>>but as if it were by works", to mean that
>>the response of the Jews to God was not in faith.
>>Paying attention to the whole context of Romans,
>>I would interpret it to mean that they did not believe in Christ
>>but rather adhered to the works of the Law as identity markers of the
>>Law-people, thinking that they are "saved" because they are
>>the Law-people.
>
>I would prefer to speak not of saved, but of righteous ones, as Paul is
>speaking here of righteousness. Saved from what? This is a later
Christian
>concern and expression that makes sense for gentiles who have been
outside
>of the righteous ones, while Paul and other Jewish people did not look
for
>salvation per se, but for a time of the restoration of all of creation.

With all due respect, I think this is not quite right. The difference is
not whether or not they were concerned with salvation, as I understand
it, but with what kind of salvation they had in mind. Salvation to the
Christian is more often individual rather than corporate, whereas
salvation to the Jewish people was usually corporate rather than
individual. Even so, beginning with the prophets (particularly some parts
of Jeremiah and Isaiah), and many of the Psalms, the basis of the
Christian concept of individual salvation was beginning.

>... (what do you think these
>Law-people think that they are "saved from"?)......

Isn't a key difference in this whole interesting conversation differing
eschatologies?

[Remainder of original dialogue deleted]

Bob