corpus-paul - Re: Subj Genitive/ Gal 2:16

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "George Blaisdell" <maqhth AT hotmail.com>
  • To: corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Subj Genitive/ Gal 2:16
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 14:36:50 PDT

From: Cameron P. VanEpps

EN PISTEI ZW THi TOU hUIOU TOU QEOU;

"by faith in the son of God."

Here we have the instrumental dative EN, and
instead of the genitive this time Paul uses the dative
article THi. Why is this?

Cameron ~

I have a hard time differentiating the locative from the instrumental on this little passage, translating it: "Within faith I am living, (within) that (faith) of the Son of God." The 'location' becomes the 'instrument' of his 'living', which [faith] belongs to and is provided by the Son of God [through grace, though that is not mentioned here].

This approach and understanding does not grant to us ownership of what would seem to be our 'own' faith, but instead assigns that ownership to the Son of God, who provides it to us...

I guess the point is that there is a circularity of relationship of all these terms that really seems to make it difficult to assign divisive categories to the grammar, such as "locative vs instrumental", whereby it would have to be one or the other.

My two sou's worth! And I hope I am not muddying up your waters!

George

  • Subj Genitive/ Gal 2:16, VanEpps, 07/14/1999
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Subj Genitive/ Gal 2:16, George Blaisdell, 07/14/1999