corpus-paul - Re: C-P: Who wrote Hebrews?

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Jack Kilmon <jkilmon AT historian.net>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: C-P: Who wrote Hebrews?
  • Date: Thu, 03 Jun 1999 23:18:02 -0500

Liz Fried wrote:

> Dear All,
> Would we be able to distinguish a Hellenized Alexandrian Jewish Christian
> from a Hellenized Alexandrian Gentile Christian? How would we? Maybe we
> couldn't. Phylo's own nephew was one such Hellenized Alexandrian Jew. This
> nephew, Alexander, went to the Gymnasium and eventually led a Roman army
> against Jerusalem.

Apollos was a learned Alexandrian Jew and a scholar of the OT. We know
that he had an Alexandrian allegorical style and was a captivating
orator.
He appears to have left Alexandria for Ephesus in 53 CE when he and his
12 companions were members of the "Baptism of John." First, an
Alexandrian
this educated would almost have to have been associated with the School
of Philo. What interests me, however, is an independant JB community
in Egypt still by mid-century.

Jack

Jack Kilmon
jkilmon AT historian.net